Thursday, December 25, 2008

Best Rendering Of Psalms By David L Frost

PSALM 1
1 Happy are they who have not walked
in the counsel of the wicked, *
nor lingered in the way of sinners,
nor sat in the assembly of the scornful!
2 Their delight is in the law of the Lord, *
and they meditate on his law day and night.
3 Like a tree planted by streams of water
bearing fruit in due season,
with leaves that do not wither; *
whatever they do, it shall prosper.
4 As for the wicked, it is not so with them; *
they are like chaff which the wind blows away
from the face of the earth;
5 Therefore the wicked shall not be able to stand in the judgement,*
nor the sinner in the congregation of the righteous.
6 For the Lord upholds the way of the righteous, *
but the way of the wicked shall perish.

PSALM 2
1 Why are the nations in tumult? *
and why do the peoples devise a vain plan?
2 The kings of the earth rise up,
and the rulers take counsel together, *
against the Lord and against his Anointed.
3 `Let us break their bonds asunder *
and cast away their cords from us.'
4 He who dwells in heaven shall laugh them to scorn; *
the Lord shall have them in derision.
5 Then shall he speak to them in his wrath *
and terrify them in his fury.
6 `Yet have I set my king * upon my holy hill of Zion.'
7 I will proclaim the decree of the Lord; *
he said to me: `You are my Son; this day have I begotten you.
8 `Ask of me
and I will give you the nations for your inheritance *
and the ends of the earth for your possession.
9 `You shall break them with a rod of iron *
and dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.'
10 Now therefore be wise, O kings; *
be prudent you judges of the earth.
11 Serve the Lord with fear,
and with trembling kiss his feet; *
Lest he be angry and you perish from the way,
for his wrath is quickly kindled.
12 Happy are all they * who take refuge in him!

PSALM 3
1 Lord, how many are my adversaries! *
Many there are that rise up against me!
2 Many there are who say of my soul, *
`There is no help for him in his God.'
3 But you, O Lord, are a shield about me; *
you are my glory, and the one who lifts up my head.
4 When I call with my voice to the Lord *
he will answer me from his holy hill;
5 When I lie down and sleep,*
I rise up again, for the Lord sustains me.
6 I will not be afraid of tens of thousands of the peoples *
that are set against me all around.
7 Rise up, O Lord and deliver me, O my God! *
O that you would strike all my enemies upon the cheek,
and break the teeth of the wicked!
8 Salvation belongs to the Lord: *
May your blessing be upon your people!

PSALM 4
1 Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness; *
you set me at liberty when I was hard-pressed;
have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
2 `How long will you people dishonour my glory; *
how long will you love vain things and seek after falsehood?'
3 But know that the Lord has chosen to himself the one that is faithful;*
When I call upon the Lord, he will hear me.
4 Stand in awe, and sin not;*
commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still.
5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness*
and put your trust in the Lord.
6 There are many that say, `Who will show us any good?'*
Lord, lift up the light of your countenance upon us.
7 You will put gladness in my heart,*
more than when their corn and wine and oil increase.
8 I will lie down and sleep in peace;*
for it is you, Lord, only who make me dwell in safety.

PSALM 5
1 Give ear to my words, O Lord; *consider my lamentation.
2 Hearken to the voice of my crying, my King and my God, *
for to you I make my prayer. 3 In the morning, Lord,
you will hear my voice; *
early in the morning I make my appeal to you, and look up.
4 For you are the God who takes no pleasure in wickedness*
no evil can dwell with you.
5 The boastful cannot stand in your sight; *
you hate all those that work wickedness.
6 You destroy those who speak lies; *
the bloodthirsty and deceitful, O Lord, you abhor.
7 But as for me, through the greatness of your mercy,
I will come into your house; *
I will bow down towards your holy temple in awe of you.
8 Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness,
because of my enemies; *
make your way straight before my face.
9 For there is no truth in their mouth;
in their heart is destruction; *
their throat is an open sepulchre;
they flatter with their tongue.
10 Declare them guilty; O God; *
let them fall through their own machinations.
11 Because of their many transgressions cast them out*
for they have rebelled against you.
12 But let all who take refuge in you be glad; *
let them sing out their joy for ever.
13 You will shelter them, *
so that those who love your name may exult in you.
15 For you, O Lord, will bless the righteous; *
and with your favour you will defend them as with a shield.

The Liturgical Psalter © 1976, 1977, David L. Frost, John A. Emerton, Andrew A. Macintosh.info@aquilabooks.co.uk.